The Guide to Debranding and Updating Your N95
1. Ensure that you have installed the Nokia PC Suite (on the CD supplied with the phone), make sure that your phone is connected via the USB cable and that it has been detected.
2. Download the following 2 pieces of software:
3. Install Nemesis Service Suite. Open the program and then click the "Scan for new Device" icon in the top right of the screen. The screen should then be filled with information, click the "Phone Info" button at the top of the screen. Then click the "Read" button. Amongst other things this will show you the current product code of your phone. You now need to change this to a generic Nokia code. A standard code for the UK that you can use is 0534841, for a full list of codes see here. Replace the current product code with this new code. Then check the enable box and click the "Write button". You have now changed your phones product code! You can double check this by clicking the read button again, this should show your new product code.
4. You may at this stage wish to back up you contacts/files to carry over to the unbranded phone, to do this use Backup utility within the Nokia PC Suite.
5. You now just have to install the new firmware update. Make sure that you phone is connected to you computer through the USB cable and then open the Nokia Software Updater that you previously downloaded. Follow the step by step instructions and install the new firmware. Do not at any time disconnect the phone until it tells you that it is safe to do so. Note the phone will restart itself during the update process. One word of caution, make very sure that the version of the firmware that your are going to update is V 06wk41v23.4 17-04-07 RM-159 (c) Nokia or, in other words, N95_RM-159_XXXX_11.0.026_v2.0 if you are using Dejan's solution to unlock your N95. Change the product code until it has the right version of firmware. For this, repeat step 3 by opening Nemesis Service Suite.
If for any reason, the Nokia Software Updater is unable to detect your N95, click here.
6. That's it, you phone has now been debranded! You can now restore your files/contacts by going back into the Backup utility, however I suggest that you do not restore settings to the phone as this puts back some annoying operator defaults such has changed menu layouts.
7. If you wish to update your phones firmware in the future you simply need to use the Nokia Updater as usual as your phones product code will not need changing again.